Concrete is a composite material composed mainly of water, aggregate and cement. It is the most widely used material in the concrete industry. It is easily prepared and fabricated in all kinds of possible forms and structural systems. The great thing is that its constituents are omnipresent and are readily available almost everywhere in the world.
There are various types of concrete available in the market. Let’s discuss in detail.
Types of concrete
Light Weight Concrete
- Self-weight of Light Weight Concrete varies from 300 to 1850 kg/m3
- Light Weight Concrete Aggregate has high fire resistance.
- Have better thermal properties
- Offers internal curing through water entrainment
- The density of high-density concrete varies from 3360 kg/m3 to 3840 kg/m3.
- Used mainly in the construction of radiation shields offshore.
- The ideal property of high-density concrete includes high modulus of elasticity and low thermal expansion.
- High-Density Concrete is used in the construction of radiation shields.
Mass concrete is related to large structures such as dams, bridge, and other large volume placements. However, due to the increasingly common use of fast-track construction practices and high-performance concretes, mass concrete issues are being experienced in the typical bridge and building structures.
- Polymer concrete is the porous concrete and porosity is due to air voids, water voids and inherent property of gel structures.
- The association of monomer and consequent polymerization is the latest method used to minimize the inherent porosity of concrete and increase strength.
Shotcrete or Sprayed Concrete
Sprayed or Shotcrete Concrete makes use of compressed air to cast it to a structure. There are two different kind of sprayed concrete—the dry mix and the wet mix concrete. Dry-mix concrete consists of a dry mixture of cement and aggregates that are poured using compressed air through hoses. The water is added through the nozzle.
Concrete covered in a mesh of iron rods is Reinforced cement concrete. It is one of the versatile materials in the concrete industry having a wide range of applications.
In construction industry where certain arrangements like a pipe, opening or other arrangements are carried out using pre-packed concrete. One of the methods is the concrete process. The concrete process is carried out in a high-speed double drum and process of grouting is done by pouring or pre-packed aggregate.
Concrete poured to a framework attached to a vacuum mat to remove unnecessary water not required for setting the cement is the vacuum concrete. In this framework, concrete attains its 28-day strength in only 10 days and it also has higher crushing strength.
Pump Concrete consist of more quantity of sand than the normal concrete. It is specially made smooth to allow easy pumping.
The self-compacting concrete makes use of superplasticizers responsible for the excessive fluidity of the concrete. It acts as a self-leveling fluid that is combined using vibration.
Maple Concrete Pumping is well known for offering all kinds of concrete pumping services in Toronto and around GTA.